Gramling Estes Law Firm
Free Initial Consultations 479-439-4159

Call to have your questions answered by lawyers at one of the oldest and most established firms in Northwest Arkansas.

How can I protect my property against trespassing?

Whether you own a small property on which your home sits or you own acres of land, it is your right to prevent others from coming onto your property without permission. In fact, if someone comes onto your property without getting permission from you, it is considered trespassing. To best prevent trespassing, the Arkansas Agriculture Department recommends following the posting law to help stop trespassers.

Under the posting law, you can post signs that warn others against coming onto your land. You can do this with either a sign or paint. Paint is used by painting a vertical mark on a tree or post at the entrance to the property. The paint used should be a posting paint, which is purple and meets the specific requirements set by the law, which stipulate the contents of the paint. This paint can be found easily at many paint retailers. Signs also should go at property entrances and must state either "posted" or " no trespassing." It can also include both phrases.

Depending on the type of land, the postings or markings must be a certain size and posted in a specific manner to follow the law. It is important that they are visible to anyone approaching the property. It is also essential that you are the owner of the land. If you do not own the land, you must have written permission to make a posting. Otherwise, you could face criminal charges. This information is for education and is not legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Send us your
questions and start
here with a Free

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Gramling Estes Law Firm

Office Location:

Gramling Estes Law Firm
One East Center #140
Fayetteville, AR 72701

Phone: (479) 521-4444
Fax: (479) 521-6730
Fayetteville Law Office Map